Salary & Benefits
VCU General Surgery Residency Program
Benefits available to our residents include:
- Three weeks of vacation per year and seven weeks of paid parental/caregiver leave.
- Access to the NAEYC-accredited child development center for children https://cdc.soe.vcu.edu/
- Subsidized parking on “D Deck" parking garage located immediately adjacent to VCU Medical Center
- Dedicated inpatient NPs for floor coverage at both VCU and Central Virginia VA
- An educational fund per resident of ~$1200 each year to be used on textbooks, conferences, etc.
- ACS dues and an annual subscription to SCORE and TrueLearn
- Funds to purchase surgical loupes.
- Free group life and disability insurance for all housestaff.
- Discounted access (~$18/mo) to the VCU recreational facilities, including:
- Cary St Gym https://recsports.vcu.edu/facilities/facilities-and-locations/cary-street-gym/, an 18,000-square-foot fitness center with two pools, climbing wall, and exercise studios
- MCV Campus Recreation Center https://recsports.vcu.edu/facilities/facilities-and-locations/mcv-campus-recreation-center/, an 7,500-squaret-foot fitness center with a pool, racquetball and squash courts.
- Outing Rental Center https://recsports.vcu.edu/facilities/facilities-and-locations/outing-rental-center/#d.en.372720 with mountain/road bicycle rental, bicycle repair shop, and rental office for a plethora of outdoor gear.
- Year-round, climate-controlled tennis courts
- Superb medical and dental insurance. Highlights include a maximum cost of $100 for any inpatient hospitalization (e.g. birth of a child at VCU Health), and a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) with $300 yearly roll-over credits after completing basic requirements such as completing a nutrition survey and seeing a PCP or eye doctor annually.
Other Benefits Include
- Eligible for VCU Retirement Plan with base contribution and matching options
- Dedicated House Staff Lounge, call rooms
- Yearly Educational Fund
- Free set of surgical loupes
- Discounted rate to VCU Recreational Facilities