The urology resident call schedule is a graduated call system.
On average, the PGY2 residents take 6-7 nights of call per month, PGY3 residents take 5-6 nights of call, and PGY4 residents take 4 nights of call. The chief residents do not take primary call; instead, they are on back-up call. The junior residents (PGY3) only work one weekend per month, and PGY4 residents do not work weekends unless there are more than four weekends in a month.
- PGY-1: 2 on-call weekends/month when on a GU rotation
- PGY-2: 6-7 days of call/month (“Q5”)
- PGY-3: 5-6 days of call/month (“Q6”)
- PGY-4: 4 days of call/month (“Q7”)
- During a calendar month, weekend call is shared between PGY-2 and PGY-3 residents with two weekends allotted to each corresponding resident class.
- When a calendar month has five weekends, the PGY-4 class will cover one weekend.
- If a weekend spans the transition between two months, the weekend will be considered part of the following month if the 1st of the month falls on a Saturday and part of the preceding month if the 1st of the month falls on a Sunday.
- Call weekends will span Fri 6PM-Sun 6PM with a new junior resident taking over call on Sunday at 6PM.
- The six major holidays (Summer: Memorial Day, Independence Day, July 4th and Winter: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day) will be divided between the PGY-3 and PGY-4 classes. Minor holidays will be allocated equally between classes.
- For three-day holiday weekends where the holiday falls on a Monday, weekend call will span from Fri 6PM-Mon 6AM.
- For three-day holiday weekends where the holiday falls on a Friday, weekend call will span from Fri 6PM-Sunday 6PM, with a new junior resident taking over call on Sunday at 6PM.
CHIEF RESIDENT CALL:
- Chief Resident call (backup call) is divided equally among the Chief Residents and decided by the Chiefs themselves in coordination with the PD and residency program coordinator.
- Prior to Jan 1, PGY-4 residents may not take Chief call.
- From Jan - Mar, one chief call weekend/month will be covered by PGY-4 residents
- From Mar – May, PGY-4 residents will take two weekends per month.
- In Jun, PGY-4 residents will take all Chief call.
- Chief residents will continue to take call though the first two weekends of June.
- Primary call for PGY4s will decrease by 1 call day for each chief call weekend worked.