Visiting Acting Internship
University Diversity Scholars Program
VCU Urology is committed to diversity in the field of urology. We believe that diversity not only strengthens our community but ensures delivery of the highest quality patient care. We understand that in many surgical fields, especially urology, the disparity is more pronounced. For this reason, we have made it our mission to help increase the number of underrepresented minorities pursuing careers in Urology. Therefore, we are proud to announce our new Diversity Scholars Program, which aims to embrace the principles of diversity and inclusion and offers expanded opportunities for medical students to gain exposure to urology.
- Diversity Scholars will participate as an acting intern in a 4-week clinical elective with VCU Urology during the summer/fall prior to residency application and interview season.
- Diversity Scholars will receive $2000 stipend to help cover travel, lodging, and other potential expenses related to the visiting rotation with VCU Urology.
Students in their 4th year of medical school who identify as under-represented minorities may apply. Applicants must have successfully completed the required core third year clerkships and have been accepted through our Diversity Scholars selection committee. All information can be sent to Abby Lafoon at Abigail.Lafoon@vcuhealth.org or call/text her directly at (804) 572-8110.
To be considered for the Diversity Scholars Acting Internship at VCU urology, eligible 4th year medical students must submit the following:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV),
- Official medical school transcript
- USMLE STEP 1 Scores
- One letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (should confirm your background/identification as an underrepresented minority as well as your commitment to diversity in urology, why you want to do a rotation at VCU, and your goals for the rotation, 500 words or less).
Please note the application deadline is 6/1/2021, and you will be notified of your acceptance via email.
The Diversity Scholars acting internship at VCU urology is 4 weeks and is set to begin in August 2021. Specific dates can be tailored to your schedule. Through this experience, you will gain insight into resident life at VCU urology, build lasting relationships with our faculty and residents, and expand your urologic knowledge. Prior to the end of the rotation, you may request letters of recommendation from our faculty. Other details include:
- Clinical Experience as an Acting Intern with our VCU urology resident team in downtown Richmond, Virginia.
- Weekly informal meetings with mentors including underrepresented minority members of the surgical and medical school faculty.
- One-on-one meetings with the program director and chair.
- Diversity Scholars will be required to give a 30-minute presentation on a topic in urology after clearance with the clerkship director at the end of the rotation.
Part of our scholarship award includes a stipend to offset travel costs. We are also happy to advise and assist with travel logistics if needed.
The application deadline is June 1st, 2021. Applicants will be notified of acceptance by June 15, 2021.
For information, questions, or to submit application material, please contact:
Ms. Abby Lafoon (Urology Residency Program Coordinator)
Office: (804) 828-3273
Cell: (804) 572-8110