Visiting Acting Internship
This M4 elective is for medical students who wish to gain additional exposure to urology or has special interest in VCU prior to the residency application process. Through this experience, you will gain insight into resident life at VCU urology, build lasting relationships with our faculty and residents, and expand your urologic knowledge. The student will be an integral part of the inpatient team, participating in daily rounds and OR cases with residents and faculty. Students will have the opportunity to attend outpatient clinics as well as weekly urology Grand Rounds. At the conclusion of the rotation, students are invited to present a 15-minute evidence-based lecture at Urology Grand Rounds. We also have a hands-on clay modeling exercise that is completed during your time here. The rotation consists of 3 weeks on the adult service and 1 week on the pediatrics service. Exit interviews with faculty are arranged prior to the end of the rotation which serves as the formal residency interview. Students have the additional optional opportunity to collaborate in urologic clinical research.
Applications are processed through the VCU School of Medicine using the VSLO system.
We encourage students from underrepresented minorities to also apply to our Lance & Suzette Hampton Urology Diversity Scholarship.
LANCE & SUZETTE HAMPTON UROLOGY DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP
VCU Urology is committed to diversity in the field of urology. We believe that diversity not only strengthens our community but ensures the delivery of the highest quality patient care. We understand that in many surgical fields, especially urology, the disparity is more pronounced. For this reason, we have made it our mission to help increase the number of underrepresented minorities pursuing careers in Urology. Therefore, we are proud to announce our the the Lance & Suzette Hampton Urology Diversity Scholarship, which aims to embrace the principles of diversity and inclusion and offers expanded opportunities for medical students to gain exposure to urology.
Scholarship recipients will:
- Diversity Scholars will participate as an acting intern in a 4-week clinical elective with VCU Urology during the summer/fall prior to residency application and interview season.
- Diversity Scholars will receive a $2000 stipend to help cover travel, lodging, and other potential expenses related to the visiting rotation with VCU Urology.
- Have weekly informal meetings with mentors, including underrepresented minority members of the surgical and medical school faculty.
- Meet one-on-one with the Program Director and Chair
- Give a 30-minute presentation on a topic in urology after clearance with the clerkship director at the end of the rotation.
Students in their 4th year of medical school who identify as underrepresented minorities and have successfully completed the required core third-year clerkships are eligible to apply.
To be considered for the Lance & Suzette Hampton Urology Diversity Scholarship at VCU urology, eligible 4th-year medical students must submit the following:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV),
- Official medical school transcript
- USMLE STEP 1 Scores
- One letter of recommendation
- Personal statement (should confirm your background/identification as an underrepresented minority as well as your commitment to diversity in urology, why you want to do a rotation at VCU, and your goals for the rotation, 500 words or less).
All information can be sent to Lauren Simonetti at email@example.com
Please note all scholarship applicants must also apply for the M4 elective through the VSLO.
The application deadline is May 1st, Applicants will be notified of acceptance by May 15th.