VCU Urology Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in the Urology Residency Program at VCU! We are excited to be considered for your future training in urologic surgery!
The Urology Residency Program at VCU is an accredited 5-year residency program that participates in the AUA Match. We will be accepting three residents for the Urology Match.
COVID-19 Match Information: Following guidance from the American Urological Association and the Society of Academic Urologists, VCU urology will not hold any in-person interviews for this year's Urology Match. Instead, candidates in this year's Urology Match will undergo virtual interviews. We plan to interview 40 candidates for our three urology positions. Applicants who complete a virtual acting internship will have an opportunity for formal interviews during their rotations and will not be required to participate in separate virtual interviews.
We consider every application with no absolute cut-offs other than attending an accredited U.S. medical or osteopathic school. We pre-select for USMLE Step 1 scores above 230 but often offer interviews based on other factors, including grades, letters of recommendation, leadership, extracurricular activities, and unique qualities/skills. Each application is reviewed thoroughly by the Program Evaluation Committee (PEC), comprised of the Program Director (Adam Klausner, MD), Associate Program Director (J. Tyler Roseman, MD), and site directors from VCU (Lance Hampton, MD, Chair of Urology), the VA (Sarah Krzastek, MD) and Pediatric Urology (Eric Nelson, MD). In addition, senior and junior residents sit on the committee and actively participate in the process. The committee attempts to balance interview offers to ensure a vibrant and diverse pool of applicants.
Resident candidates submit their applications through the Electronic Residency Application System. A complete application consists of the following documents:
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (one of which should come from your Chair of Urology or Program Director if available)
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Step 1 score and Step 2 score, if available
Concerning medical student applicant interviews, all in-person interviews will be converted to video-based interviews for the season. Programs are working to prepare materials, including virtual tours, websites, videos, presentations, and supplemental information to help students in their decision-making.
- Friday, October 21: ALL programs participating in the match extend their interview invitation offers to their applicants.
- Monday, October 24: Students will be able to contact each program accepting or declining each of these offers.
- Tuesday, October 25: “Flush Day” - Students may release previously accepted interview slots in favor of any invitations offered to them off a waitlist. After Flush Day, all interview acceptances are final and must be honored by the student. No cancellations are permitted by either party.
- Thursday, November 10: Half day of residency interviews
- Friday, November 11: Full day of residency interviews
- Friday, December 2: Half day of residency interviews
- Saturday, December 3: Full day of residency interviews
Thank you for your interest in our program. If you need further information, feel free to review our Prospective Resident FAQ or reach out to our Residency Program Coordinator, Lauren Simonetti, at (804) 828-3039 or Lauren.Simonetti1@vcuhealth.org.